Having a baby in the house is amazing. His smile and lively movement in the home keep everyone happy. But it’s not all about happiness all the time. As a parent and caregiver, you need to keep your baby clean and healthy.
And one such way to ensure the baby’s cleanliness is to keep his sensitive nails clear. In fact, you will be surprised to see how much dirt and grime, those baby nails may collect. Hence, this write-up on how to clean baby nails will be beneficial for parents to keep their loving baby healthy.
An easy way to clean baby nails
Baby nails will, more often or not, attach fidgety and fussy that make them dirty. However, for their hygiene, you should regularly clean them.
There are two steps of cleaning baby nails-
- Trimming the baby nail
- Cleaning underneath the nail
Let’s see how you will proceed.
Baby Nail Trimming Technique
For trimming a baby nail, you will need the following things.
- A calm baby (Jokes apart, the baby shouldn’t feel annoyed)
- An infant nail trimmer set for babies.
The process follows as-
- Hold on to your baby hand gently with care and grasp the fingers one by one.
- Carefully see the nail of your baby to find the growing portion (which you will trim). It’s easy to identify the ever-increasing fingernail from the attached part of the skin since both have very distinctive colors.
- Now use the infant nail trimmer to press down the nail ever so lightly.
- You must use the infant nail trimmer with care to file baby nails with safety.
- Once you have trimmed all the nails, you can use an emery board to clean soften the nails edges. It will reduce the risk of baby cutting his skin with nails.
It may so happen that while you are trimming baby nails, he will pull back. We recommend you to distract him with toys or his favorite lullaby. But never force him to remain clam.
Cleaning the Nails
Although through trimming baby nails, you can remove most dirt, yet some nasty debris will find its way to stick underneath or around the nails. For total hygiene, you must blow this debris away.
For this, you will need-
- A soft baby toothbrush
- A good quality baby soap
- Mildly warm water
The process follows as-
- Gasp your bay nails gently, so that he doesn’t feel pain or irritate.
- Apply the baby soap with warm water.
- Let it soften the dirt for a few seconds.
- Then work with the bristles of the toothbrush against the dirt and grime.
- Once you are done, rinse the used toothbrush.
- Lastly, repeat the process if you feel the necessity.
That’s it; your baby nails should be clean as a whistle now.
Why Is It Important to Clean Baby Nails?
Baby nails proliferate. Consequently, it contains germs and dirt since most babies tend to put their hands on almost anything. Moreover, some babies grew an appetizer of eating dirt, which fills underneath the nails.
This may sound ridiculous, but it’s true. If you have ever observed any baby carefully, you will see that kids often place their hands on anything and then try to lick their fingers. This way, he or she will most likely swallow unwanted dirt that may cause serious health issues.
So, it is a must that you clean the bay nails regularly so that the pins don’t grow too much dirt. Also, it is suitable for babies’ look. A clean nail will surely add charm to your loving baby’s overall appearance. And don’t you want your bay to look good?
A baby is probably the greatest blessing a family can ever have. So, you should remain vigilant to keep your bay clean all the time so that he doesn’t fall sick. And in this regard, maintaining baby nails is the first step towards a healthful lifestyle since nails are most likely to get in touch with dirt.
Luckily, the cleaning and trimming of baby nails are straightforward. Thus, we hope you find this article helpful and do try the method at home. Don’t forget to inform us about the result.