Mexican cotton blankets are much sought-after worldwide. Its bright and attractive color, soft and cozy feel, and warmth make it a great choice for cold seasons. However, when you bring the handmade cotton blanket out of your closet after the long summer and rainy season, you must wash it properly. Also, after use, you should wash it before storing it once the wintertime is over.
But do you know how to wash a Mexican blanket?
Many people think washing a cotton-woven mexican blankets are tough due to its softness and fabric quality. But that’s not true. You can easily wash the blanket in the washing machine. You should always use a quality laundry detergent and wash the blanket in cold water.
Tips On How To Wash A Mexican Blanket?
Mexican blankets are expensive. Many people collect them as a souvenir. Thus, you must keep the blanket neat and clean. It will also be useful to use the blanket for years. Last but not least, a clean blanket will be hygienic to use during cold times.
If the blanket is dirty, it may develop allergic symptoms and cause breathing problems. So, let’s jump into the washing steps.
Step 1: Choosing the right laundry detergent
When you wash the Mexican cotton blanket, you must choose the right detergent. Although most people won’t believe it, the right detergent selection matters greatly. So, for the detergent selection, keep the following things in mind.
- Never use fabric softeners to wash the Mexican blanket. If the detergent contains fabric softener, it can crash the cotton fabric of the blanket. So, when you choose the detergent, carefully read through its materials to avoid fabric softeners.
- Cotton is notoriously known for absorbing odor. So, choosing a detergent with a fragrance will help you remove the odor. Also, detergents with fragrance will give a nice smell to the blanket for an extended period. If you don’t like scented detergents, you can add borax with the detergent in the washing machine.
- Many people may have allergic symptoms to certain detergent and their elements. If you have such a problem, choose the detergent accordingly.
Step 2: Put the blanket inside the washing machine and start the cycle
When you have put the washing detergent in the machine, you can put the blanket inside it. You need to be careful about the following things while cleaning the Mexican blanket in the washing machine.
- You must always use cold water to clean the Mexican blanket. If you use hot water, it will damage the cotton fabric of the blanket.
- Wash the blanket solo. It is crucial since the blanket is a large item. Also, you need to set the washing cycle differently for the cotton fabric, which won’t suit other outfits. Lastly, a blanket will always bleed colored pigments. It will ruin your outfits if you wash them with a blanket.
Before you put the blanket inside the washing machine, you can tap it with your hands or a stick a few times. It will remove the additional dirt and debris and make the cleaning easier. After you have set the washing cycle, press the start button.
Now, you will need to wait for the given period. Once the washing machine signals that the cleaning cycle is over, you can remove the blanket.
Step 3: Dry the blanket carefully
The drying process of a Mexican blanket can be more hassle than cleaning it. We suggest you dry the blanket in the open air instead of using the washing machine or tumble dryer. When you dry the blanket in the tumble dryer or using other heat sources, it will shrink the fabric. So, the blanket might become out of shape.
What’s more, drying the soft cotton blanket using external heat will make it lumpy. You will feel the coarseness when you put it over your body. So, it will lose the comfort greatly.
Instead, put the cleaned blanket in the fresh air. You can hang it on your rooftop or balcony. Also, flip the blanket two to three times so that each side of the blanket dries properly. Also, after washing and drying, you will find that the blanket has shrunk slightly.
So, you need to apply mild pressure with your hands to reshape it. Now, you can store or use the blanket and enjoy the warmth.
Mexican cotton blankets are famous for their warmth, softness, and relaxing feel. Also, the handmade blanket has bright colors. When it gets dirty, it will lose its brightness greatly. Also, a dirty blanket will be unclean.
Thus, you may easily wash off the dirt, debris, and other unhygienic particles from it following our three steps. Washing the soft cotton blanket isn’t challenging at all. Also, when you choose the right detergent, the cleaning process will become easier.