What more you can get from biking except reaching somewhere? Bike or bicycle is the source of excitement, pleasure, and happiness of mind.
The cleanliness of a bike is a blessing to the riders or bikers. The clean bike attracts the biker as well as the spectators well.
Even a neat bike reminds you to take it for a ride again. Do you know how to clean a road or mountain bike?
If you want to learn bike cleaning tips, then stay with me until the conclusion of the article.
- 1 Tools You Need
- 2 Uses Of The Tools
- 3 How To Clean?
- 4 The 5 Minute Bike Wash – How To Clean Your Bike In A Hurry
- 5 Supposition
- 6 How To Clean Your Motorcycle Infographic
Tools You Need
When you are going to clean something, you require a couple of things to complete the task.
Similarly, cleaning a bike requires a few types of equipment, and surely your time and attention.
I am talking about a quick but effective cleaning of a road bicycle. So, you will need a minimal number of things.
- Clean rags or old towel
- Cleaning brushes
- Water-filled bucket
- Biodegradable bike cleaner
- Paper cloth
- Chain lubricant
- Bike stand
Uses Of The Tools
When you are full of grease or oily things on your hands, cleaning rags will help you out.
There are certain areas where you can’t reach with your fingers.
You can use different sizes and shapes of brushes to clean dirt, grime, or grease from those areas.
A bucket full of water is a vital part of cleaning a bike. If you only choose a spray cleaner, then bucket won’t be mandatory.
Currently, you can get many different types of bike cleaners on the market.
It would be best if you chose the cleaner which contains friendly ingredients and biodegradable formula.
Dishwashing liquid can be an alternative to bike cleaner.
Degreaser helps to loosen the gummy or sticky things from the body of the bike. You should avoid kerosene or oil, which can damage the structure.
Sponge helps to clean and rinse the dirt bike. Bike cleaner requires sponge to apply on the frame of a bike.
Even you can wet the sponge and start cleaning the frame as necessary cleaning.
If you wish to increase the lifespan of drivetrain, you should lube the bike chain. Wet or dry oil, both options are available.
Wet lube is for biking in damp weather. It won’t rinse off when rainwater keeps falling on your bike.
Dry lube is for general weather conditions. Dirt, grime, etc. go off with dry lube.
Bike stand is to position the bike at a certain height. It helps to clean the bike with comfort.
Even you can turn the pedals or reorganize the wheels by position the bike.
How To Clean?
Unless you are not going to the bike repair shop, you can clean the bike at your place.
You need to follow these below steps to do a complete cleaning:
Put the bike on the bike stand. Now start cleaning the whole bike.
- Clean the drivetrain first. It consists of four different parts: cassette, rear derailleur, chainrings, chain. If this part is dirty or has any error, you won’t be able to drive well.
- Now start turning the pedals so that the chain moves from its stable position. Bring the cleaning rag and use a degreaser to degrease the chain. Scrub the degreaser on the whole chain by holding it with the rag.
- Take the cleaning brush (small size would be better). Then start cleaning between the gears set in the back wheel. Use a degreaser to remove the adhesive from the derailleur and chainrings. Take care of them with chain lubricants using a wet sponge or cloth.
- Let’s move onto the next step of cleaning; frame and wheels are cleaning. Stand your bike upside down on the bike stand. Pour water with a mug or any sprayer to spray on the rusty bicycle. Spraying water keeps the dirt and grime away from the wheels and frame. Remove the wheels.
- Wet your cleaning rag or sponge in cleaning liquid and water solution. Then wipe the frame with the damp cloth.
- Wipe the rims of your tire. Clean the spokes and other parts of the tires. Use clean and dry rags to clean the cassette off the bike. Paper cloth can be the right choice.
- Check the whole bike if anything is missed such as handle, front wheel, brake, etc. Clean them thoroughly.
- Then take the whole unit under open air and sunlight. Put things separately on the ground. Give some minutes to dry the unit.
- After drying, attach the tires if you have already removed them during cleaning processes. Take a cleaning cloth and wipe on the bike to remove dirt particles.
The 5 Minute Bike Wash – How To Clean Your Bike In A Hurry
Now, you have completed whole bike cleaning processes. You should keep in mind to clean the bike at least twice in a month.
It helps to maintain the health of the mountain bike. Use quick-clean sprayer eventually if you have the least time.
Be careful while cleaning the bike. Avoid any chemicals that can harm the metal frame. That’s all from me!
How To Clean Your Motorcycle Infographic
Now, It’s Over To You!
Now I’d like to hear from you: Leave a comment to let me know.
Spread it by Sharing on social media…