The History of Pumps: Timeline (2000 BC to Till)
History refers to the flow of events, turning one thing to change, improve or damage. Sometimes the thing gets eradicated from the ages. The water pump is certainly a necessary daily utility which has a long history.
Now we are using the pump not only to suck water from the surface to drink but also for multiple purposes. Knowing the history of the water pump can surprise us how this thing was first invented and the present condition of it. Let’s see the brief history of water pump throughout the whole article.
That way of carrying water was too painful, lengthy and tiresome. Sometimes people needed to go to a far place where the river or well located. So, there was a need of a thing with what they can have water easier. Then the historical and technological improvement of water pump appeared to common people.
The first invention in the history of the water pump was the invention of Shadoof. The Egyptians invented this water machine a long time ago like 2000 BC. This Shadoof was a bucket tied to a rope which could carry water out of a well. That thing is not a clear concept of a water pump. Later we can have more information about the history of the water pump from 250 BC.
During 250-200 BC Ancient Greece and Rome got different types of water pumping machine. The Greek inventor and mathematician Ctesibius invented the water organ to pull up water. This was an air pump having valves on the bottom. There was a tank of water in between the valves. A row of pipes was on top of the water organ. All these ideas can make us having the structure of the reciprocating pump.
Another great inventor Archimedes designed a new pump called Archimedean screw pump in 200 BC. This pump was shaped like a giant screw as you may imagine. This pump worked by lifting water through the inside of the pump for irrigation. At least two people needed to use the pump whose task was turning the screw by the hand.
Piston pumps were also found during that period. But The Archimedean screw pump is one of the greatest invention of all time and still people are using this technology in industrial and agricultural fields.
Centrifugal pump is another kind of pump listed in a writing of the Italian Renaissance engineer Francesco di Giorgio Martini. The Brazilian soldier and historian of science Reti identified this pump as the first mud lifting machine.
Sliding vane water pump become invented through Agostino Ramelli which changed into stated in his ebook The Numerous and Artifactitious Machines of Captain Agostino Ramell. This Italian engineer also included other multiple pumps and engine designs in that book. Later, French inventor Nicolas Grollier de Servière invented a gear pump in 1593.
A German engineer named Pappenheim invented the double deep-toothed rotary gear pump. That pump could dispense with the reciprocating slide valves used in the sliding vane water pump. The pump was driven by an overshot water wheel set in motion by a stream. That gear pump was used to feed water fountains. We can see the utilization of this pump in lubricating engines nowadays.
Invention of newer and more useful pump was never stopped at a single place. Otto van Guericke invented the piston vacuum pump. He used the leather washer technology to make the pump leakage free between the cylinder & piston.
The English talent – Sir Samuel Moreland, who was a diplomat, spy, inventor, mathematician invented a more effective water pump called the packed plunger pump. With a chain or a man’s hand, literally less amounts of water could be pulled off. In this packed plunger pump, the piston had a leather seal. The structure (piston rod & stuffing box) of this pump helped to raise water in a greater amount than any other pumps during that time.
The first true centrifugal pump was developed by French inventor Denis Papin. He used straight vanes in the pump for local drainage.
Dutch-Swiss mathematician Daniel Bernoulli implied the Bernoulli’s equation related to the principle of fluid flow. He wrote about this in his book Hydrodynamica. Depending on the theory, Ural hydraulic machinery plant was established at that time.
The steam engine inventor James Watt helped to improve the ideology of the water pump. His steam engine’s connecting rod cranks mechanism could convert the piston’s reciprocating motion into rotary motion. With this idea, we got a design of an oscillating piston machine in which a wing-shaped rotary blade made a near complete revolution uncovering inlet ports in a chamber separated by a curved radial wall.
Britton, Thomas Simpson established pump business in London. By that time municipal community started to use pumping engines. Revillion invented a modern screw pump later in 1830.
The first direct-acting steam pumping engine used in this period to power canal boats and US naval vessels and also in boiler feed, oil pipeline, and hydroelectric applications. Henry R. Worthington invented that kind of water pumping engine.
Pump machine business got spread. Lots companies appeared to manufacture water pumps and industrialize them. After purchasing interests from a couple of companies, Seabury S. Gould built the company Down & Co. Later in 1869, this company changed the name to Goulds Manufacturing Company which is situated at Seneca Falls, New York. The first pump which made of metal totally was built in this pump company in 1849.
Curved vane centrifugal pump is a revolutionary pump which was introduced by the British inventor John Appold. In the same year, John Gwynne took the patent of his first centrifugal pump. That time centrifugal pumps were powered by his steam engines and used in land drainage. He manufactured from light duty to heavy duty pumps industrially at the end of the 19th century. Later scientific pumps appeared on the market (almost 1K different models) such as porcelain pumps. Bornemann Pumpen founded in 1853 and Gilbert Gilkes & Gordon company was established in 1856.
By this time, Worthington improved the technology of water pumping machine. The first time the horizontal, duplex, direct-acting steam pumps come to the public for boiler feed which helped the industry a lot. The roper pump company was built in 1857. Jacob Edson, the inventor invented the diaphragm pump in 1859. His company Edson Corporation started working with marketing these pumps.
In this year, lots of invention happen in water pump section. Adam Cameron founded a pump engine company named the Cameron Steam Pump Works in that year. His first produced reciprocating steam pumps became popular in the merchant marine, U.S. naval vessels and applied in water resources, oil pipeline, refining, and boiler feed. Allweiler company was also founded in 1860 and David Brown commenced business as a pattern maker. Lawrence Pumps & Philipp Hilge pump company were established in 1862.
The concrete volute pump for water drainage was pioneered by Stork Pompen of Hengelo in The Netherlands. Sigma Lutin, Lederle etc. companies started producing the water pumps. An original design of centrifugal pump was developed by British Professor Osborne Reynolds in 1870. Boiler feed apparatus patent went to Johannes Klein in 1871. KSB pump company (combined) was found by him and few others. George and James Weir built the Weir Group in the same year.
Charles Barnes of New Brunswick invented the vane pump in 1874. Wilson-Snyder stepped on the new line of slurry, pipeline and refinery pumps. Gotthard Allweiler invented and produced hand wing pumps series. Hodgkin and Neuhaus, Forerunner of SPP, etc. water pump company founded 1875. The Ritz Pumpenfabrik company produced pumps from 1877.
Internal gear pumping principle was invented in 1886 by Jens Nielson. His company Viking Pump Company designed a pump to remove excessive water that was seeping into his limestone quarry from a nearby creek. In that year United Centrifugal Pumps became the first supplier of high-pressure unrefined oil and refined product pipeline pumps. After two years Kirloskar Brothers Limited was founded. Sero Pumpenfabrik, Peroni, etc. company started in 1894. KSB company got spread in The UK in 1896.
The first deep well turbine pump was invented by Preston K. Wood in Los Angeles. Worthington Simpson Ltd was diluted in the same year from two different companies. Rotary vane pump technology was different and improved rather than the old gear principle which helped to built sliding vane pumps nowadays. This awesome invention was held by Robert Blackmer in 1889. Following year (1900) Siemens grabbed the foremost German patent for liquid ring vacuum pumps and compressors. Development of the first deep-well vertical turbine pump began in 1901. Flygt forerunner Stenberg founded in that year. World’s first line of reciprocating positive displacement pumps was marketed by Aldrich Company for steel mills and mine dewatering. Rateau founded in 1903.
Jen Nielsen improved the mathematical theory of his gear pump in 1904.
Leistritz Company, founded in 1905. The New York Times building installed two Goulds triplex pumps which could lift water to 387 feet by 6 inches.
Andre Petit became the inventor of the eccentric disc pump and founder of his company in Paris. Another company Stuart Turner Ltd. established in 1906.
Mitsubishi Heavy Industries started manufacturing their water pumps in 1907. Western Land Roller spread the manufacture of irrigation pumps with its design in 1908. During that year, pumps used in under the water and the wet stator motor was developed by Hayward Tyler. That wet stator motor’s purpose was to use as a boiler circulation glandless motor pump. Tristam Pumpen and Pumpenfabrik Ernst Vogel founded in 1909. Ingersoll-Rand bought the Cameron Steam Pump Works in the same year. Then came the first gasoline pump of Gilbarco in the market in 1910. Dickow Pumpen and Hitachi founded in that year.
Jens Nielsen builds the first internal gear pump, founding the Viking Pump Company. The Viking Rotary Gear-Within-A-Gear pump (the first of its kind) is placed on the market.
Ebara Corporation, founded in this year. Durion, a universally corrosion-resistant material, is invented by the Duriron Castings Company (later known as Durco Pump) and is applied to process equipment.
Inventor and engineer Albert Baldwin Wood invented the Wood screw pump.
Viking Pump Company wins the Panama Pacific Award for internal gear design. Albert Baldwin Wood invents the Wood trash pump. He pioneered the reclamation from the swamp and the efforts to develop much of the land now occupied by the city of New Orleans. Some of Wood’s pumps had been in continuous use for more than 80 years without need of repairs. New ones continued to be built from his designs.
Hazleton Pumps changed to Barrett Haentjens and Co. Worthington Pump & Machinery Corporation acquired Worthington Simpson Ltd. Aldrich produced the first direct motor-driven reciprocating pump. While Armais Sergeevich Arutunoff first invented submersible pumps in Russia in 1916, their use in the United States did not begin until the 1950s.
Arutunoff first designed his pump for use in ships, water wells and mines. He altered the design to work in oil wells. Thanks to further refinements to Arutunoff’s design, there were more types of submersible pumps, allowing use in other applications such as pumping drinking water, creating fountains and pumping wastewater. Again, the first DORRCOTM Suction Pump is built by Dorr-Oliver Pump Company in the mineral processing industry.
John Crane founded; Hydraulic Institute established. Louis Bergeron invented the concrete volute pump and founds Bergeron S.A.
Scanpump and CCM Sulzer founded. Byron Jackson produced the first hot oil pumps for the petroleum industry.
Torishima Pump Mfg Co and Kawamoto Pump Mfg established.
Bombas Itur, Wernert Pumpen and SIHI established. Viking built its first domestic oil burner pump using a mechanical seal.
Harry LaBour founded LaBour Pump Company. A pioneer in the development of pumps for the chemical industry, LaBour developed corrosion-resistant alloyed to incorporate into his pumps. Until his time, sulfuric acid was always pumped with lead pumps, the only known material that could handle certain concentrations of the acid. Jeumont-Schneider began manufacturing, water and slurry pumps in Jeumont, France. It later developed solids-handling pumps and segmental ring section multistage pumps. Dorr-Oliver Pump Company developed the OLIVITE series of centrifugal for slurry transfer in that year.
Midland Dairy Machines founded in 1922.
Peerless and Pacific Pumps companies founded in 1923. Byron Jackson demonstrated the first use of centrifugal pumps for oil pipeline and the first automatic booster station. Ruthman Companies designed the world’s first sealless vertical pump.
Jung Pumpen established; Leistritz started making screw pumps. Rheinhuette started pump production. Durco Pump introduced the world’s first pump specifically designed for chemical processing. It would go on to establish undisputed global leadership in ANSI pump design.
Arai Pump Mfg. Co founded in 1926. The Pacific Pump Company started producing the first hot oil double casing pump. O.H. Dorer got a patent for the first inducer, which reduced the required NPSH. Inducers did not become incorporated into standard pump lines until the 1960s.
Industrial Filter and Pump Mfg Co forerunner were founded. Edur Pumpenfabrik was established. Viking introduced a line of hazardous liquid pumps for use in the fuel oil market. Aldrich produced the first variable stroke multi-cylinder reciprocating pump.
Girdlestone Pumps, founded in 1928. Worthington-Simpson produced the world’s largest steam-driven pumping engine for municipal water supply.
Heishin Works, and Houttuin founded. Pleuger pioneered the submersible turbine pump motor. Stenberg and Flygt commenced their cooperation. Pleuger incorporated in Berlin, Germany. Its first offerings were submersible motor pumps for dewatering in the construction of underground railways and subways. Pleuger pioneered the first successful application of submersible motor pumps in offshore service. Byron Jackson used the first double casing, feed pump in a power plant. Stork Pompen produced the first concrete volute pump for drainage, integrating the pump housing in the civil construction of the pumping station.
René Moineau got a doctorate for his thesis which will lead to the invention of the progressing cavity pump. Ensival started selling centrifugal pumps. Reda Pump Company was founded in that year. While inventing a compressor for jet engines, aviation pioneer René Moineau discovered that this principle could also work as a pumping system. Moineau completed a Doctorate degree on his thesis on The New Capsulism from The University of Paris. His pioneering dissertation laid the groundwork for the progressing cavity pump.
Imo established by Ingeström and Montelius. VNII Gidromash research and design organization founded in Moscow.
Three companies were founded: PCM, Sarlin Pumps, Bran Luebbe founded.
The original version of the Bush Pump was designed as a closed-top cylinder pump. In 1960 the design was modernized. The base of the well was from then on bolted to the well casing and got its current name, The Zimbabwe Bush Pump, the National Standard for hand pumps in Zimbabwe. After Zimbabwe’s independence in 1980, the government created its own modernized version of the pump, B-type Zimbabwe Bush Pump. The pump is today regarded as a national treasure. In 1997, it was pictured on a postal stamp. J.C. Gorman and Herb Rupp introduced a pump with a non-clogging feature. It outperformed any other self-priming centrifugal pump previously invented. The company Gorman-Rupp was established.
Robbins & Myers acquired North American license for the Moineau progressing cavity pump. Mono Pumps Ltd started to build and sell Moineau’s pump design in the United Kingdom. Robert Sheen invented the metering pump. The core of his invention was a method of controlled volume that was inherent to the pump.
The first pumps were assembled in the basement of his father, Milton Roy Sheen’s, home, where the initial patterns for castings were made. Robbins & Myers acquired the North American license for the Moineau progressing cavity pump and brands it with the name Moyno.
Sigmund Pumps Ltd (GB) established. IDP produced the first radially split, pull-from-the-rear process pump. Worthington produced the world’s first hydraulic decoking systems.
Ebsray and Warman International founded.
Durco invented Alloy 20, which is the standard industrial material for corrosive surfaces. Dorr-Oliver Pump Company developed the Oliver Diaphragm Slurry pump for slurry transfer. Originally designed for mining slurry transfer with their associated acids, it developed into a Primary Sludge Underflow Pump for the wastewater industry starting in the 1970s after the Clean Water Act. Smith Precision Products Company developed the first liquefied gas transfer pump for LP-gas in the same year.
Grindex founded and Dresser acquired Pacific Pumps. Reuben Smith, of Smith Precision Products Company (Smith Pumps), received the first approval for an LP-gas pump from the California Industrial Accident Commission. This was for the model 4X pump and the approval was a suitable for use certificate.
British Pump Manufacturers Association, founded in 1941. Smedegaard Pumps, founded.
The Gorman-Rupp team created the first commercially available solids-handling trash pump to respond to the contractor’s need for a pump to withstand the considerable rigors of pumping out trash-laden septic tanks, cesspools and outhouses.
During World War II, Goulds extra-quiet trim pumps were installed in every U.S. Navy submarine. That year, 157 Goulds men went to war and 157 women took their places on the Goulds manufacturing floor. Goulds earned the prestigious Army-Navy “E” Award that year for outstanding production of war materials.
Grundfos Pumps, Caprari and Flexibox founded in 1945.
Cornell Pumps, Klaus Union, Totton Pumps established.
HMD Seal/Less Pumps established. Hyundai founded. Flygt’s Sixten Englesson, a master of engineering, developed a prototype for the first submersible drainage pump, which is later known as the parrot cage, or B-pump, used in mining for construction.
Abel Pumps launched; Mast Pumpen founded. Stenberg Flygt AB designed the structure of the first submersible drainage pump while Varisco started pump production. Smith Precision Products Company received the patent for the first mechanical seal supplied for liquefied gas transfer pumps. It was first put into production in 1947.
HMD Pumps invents and engineers the world’s first magnet drive pump.
Batescrew estabIished; Delasco founded. Vanton developed the Flex-i-liner sealless self-priming rotary pump which handles corrosive, abrasive and viscous fluids as well as those that must be transferred free of product contamination.
Saer Elettropompe, Tsurumi, Netzsch Mohno pumpen founded in 1951. Lewa and Rovatti was established in the next year. Nikkiso established in 1953.
Orlita and Sta-Rite founded. Bell & Gossett opened its Little Red Schoolhouse training facility. World’s first atomic-powered submarine is equipped with Ingersoll-Rand boiler-feed pumps and compressors. Blackmer invents and manufactures a positive displacement pump for liquefied petroleum gas (LPG). Smith Precision Products Company (Smith Pumps) began working with the Underwriters Laboratories to develop their first Standard for liquefied gas pumps, UL-51, which is still in use today. Worthington produced the world’s first high speed (9,000 RPM) boiler feed pumps.
Wilden and DMW Corporation established in 1955. Borg-Warner acquired Byron Jackson. Jim Wilden invented the air-operated double-diaphragm (AODD) pump technology.
Flygt introduced the submersible sewage pump. Sixten Englesson developed for Stenberg-Flygt AB the submersible sewage pump, called the C-pump, with a discharge connection and level regulator. Smith & Loveless engineer Frank Weis develops the water industry’s first real solids handling, non-clog pump.
Richter Chemie-Technik founded and Centrilift founded. Ruhrpumpen Gmbh began the production of process pumps under the license of Pacific.
Heishin Works became Heishin Pump Works Co Ltd in 1958. SSP Pumps, founded
World Pumps were launched as Pumping. ABS and Calpeda founded. The Viking Pump Company launched abrasive liquid heavy-duty pumps and handles the printing ink for more than half of the major U.S. newspapers.
David Brown Pumps division formed. Europump established. New lines of industrial pumps were developed by Goulds Pumps, including large, double suction pumps, higher pressure pumps and non-metallic pumps.
In home water systems, the jet water system was improved and a complete line of submersible pumps is completed. Development of GIW trademark GASITE hard iron for longer wearing pumps and parts was found. Hydraulic Slide Rule invented and copyrighted by The GIW vice president and inventor Danforth Hagler.
Ingersoll-Rand acquired the Aldrich Pump Company in that year. Pulsometer Engineering joined the Booker McConnel Group, which had already acquired Sigmund Pumps.
Acromet commenced operations. Sundstrand developed the first Sundyne high-speed centrifugal pump and sells it to Shell Chemical. Grundfos placed the first circulator pump into the market with variable speed regulation.
First edition of the Pumping Manual published. In cooperation with German chemical companies, KSB developed the CPK standardized chemical pump series to satisfy a newly-published standard.
Nigo’s Pumps incorporated in India; Warren Rupp founded. Sulzer acquired majority interest in Weise & Monski. Pumping became Pumps, Pompes, Pumpen. Warren Rupp’s heavy-duty, diverse AODD pump was introduced to the industrial market to address the vigorous demands of the steel mills and other industrial market applications. Crisafulli Pump Company, founded in 1966 and ITT acquired Jabsco.
Johnson Pump International founded. ITT Corporation acquired Flygt. Durco produced the first fully-lined PTFE chemical processing pump. Gorman-Rupp built the first fiberglass, below-ground, factory-built sewage pumping station. The ownership of Stenberg-Flygt AB was transferred to the American multinational enterprise ITT (International Telephone & Telegraph Corporation). Stenberg-Flygt AB, AB Flygts pumpar and flygt worldwide lab had been consolidated as a combined company giving priority to this transfer.
Mouvex launched the first sealless rotary pump not based on magnets. Weir acquires Harland Engineering; Worthington acquired Worthington-Simpson. Gusher designed the 7800 series for the filter & washer industry.
Alma Pompe founded; Weir buys Drysdale; Ingersoll-Rand buys Sigmund Pumps Ltd (GB) in Gateshead, UK. Viking introduced to spur gear line of pumps, which is the company’s largest selling OEM pump. Gorman-Rupp invented the bellows-metering pump and the oscillating pump, while the Mansfield Division acquired the Roto-Prime pump. Smith & Loveless engineer Frank Weis designed the first-ever above-grade sewage pump lift station.
SIHI took over Halberg. Gévelot group acquired Delasco. Turbosan and Seepex Seeberger both companies were founded in the same year. Gusher developed a purge hole system that enabled pumps to handle up to 30 to 40 percent entrained air.
Crest Pumps Ltd founded in 1973. Frank Weis pioneered the first-ever vortex grit removal system for wastewater treatment plants. KSB launched the BOA-H, the first maintenance-free, standard cast iron valve.
Worthington acquired Sier-Bath Pump Division from Gilbarco.
Ingersoll-Rand bought Western Land Roller Irrigation Pumps. Sterling Fluid Systems (TBG) purchased Peerless Pump.
Thompsons acquired the pump manufacturing operations of Kelly & Lewis to form Thompsons, Kelly & Lewis. KSB put the BOA-W line onto the valve market. The first soft-seated standard valve was able to cope with dirt in the fluid.
Totton Pumps bought by Wolseley PLC in 1979. SPP acquired Godiva Fire Pumps. Gusher developed multistage pumps for higher pressures required by the machine tool industry and the world’s first top pull-out pump.
Viking introduced the Universal Seal and Viking Mag Drive lines of internal gear pumps—both the first of their kind in the industry. Gorman-Rupp unveiled the nutating pump, a special purpose small pump used in healthcare applications; additional energy-efficient, self-priming centrifugal pumps; a series of lightweight, portable pumps and high-pressure pumps with the first digital control panels.
Electronic controls entered the industry to make pumps more energy efficient.
GIW developed wear modeling technology for predicting pump performance.
Red Jacket and Hydromatic merged to form Marley Pump. Sterling Fluid Systems took a half share in SIHI.
Pumps, Pompes, Pumpen relaunched as the World Pumps Magazine. Biwater acquired Wallwin Pumps. The SPP was subject to a management buy-out.
SIHI bought the canned motor program of Bran Luebbe. First Texas A&M Pump Users Symposium was held in 1984. Scienco produced the first specialized positive displacement pumps specifically designed for agricultural applications.
Dresser Industries acquired Worthington Pumps. KSB acquired Pompes Guinard and Scanpump acquired Pumpex. SIHI bought the pump program of MAN. Pentair acquired FE Myers. Goulds Pumps acquired Lowara. SPP acquired Henry Sykes PLC. Sims manufactured the first structural composite pump, all Simsite Vertical Pit Pump. Sims later won the Innovative Product Award for these products in 1990.
Bedford Pumps launched. BW/IP formed by the management buy-out of Borg-Warner’s Industrial Products subsidiary. Weir bought Mather and Platt Machinery. SIHI France purchased Schabaver. Dresser acquired Pleuger Pumps.
KSB acquired a majority stake in Georgia Iron Works. Scanpump owned the Pompes Lefi company, and Idex Corporation was built. Weir bought the large pumps business of WH Allen & Gwynnes from NEI and BW/IP acquired United Centrifugal Pumps. Braithwaite acquired SPP and sells off Godiva Fire Pumps.
Elsevier acquired World Pumps in 1989. Scanpump acquired ABS and Pearce Pump Supply founded in the same year. SPP Ltd was sold to TBG as part of Sterling Fluid Systems. Dresser Industries bought the Mono Pumps Ltd while Ingersoll-Rand owned Scienco Ltd. Watson-Marlow bought by Spirax-Sarco. Sier-Bath, incorporated the first application of multiphase pumps in paper stock.
First hard metal slurry pump was found for hydraulic transport of oil sands talings.
Idex dealt to become owner of Corken and got it. In the same year, Baker Hughes grabbed Geho company.
Ingersoll-Rand and Dresser Industries immersed their pump businesses to comprise Ingersoll-Dresser Pumps (IDP). Warman acquired Girdlestone Pumps. Idex acquired Pulsafeeder and Johnson Pump (UK) Ltd. Weir bought Floway and BW/IP bought ACEC. Ebara established s state-of-the-art manufacturing plant in Italy.
United Dominion acquired Marley Pump. Vogel acquired Ochsner. Sterling Fluid Systems acquired LaBour.
Weir acquired EnviroTech Pumpsys tems and Warman acquired Barrett Haentjens. Idex bought Hale Products and Goulds acquired Vogel. ITT bought Richter Chemie-Technik. Sundstrand acquired HMD Seal/less Pumps. Two new major products were introduced by Goulds Pumps, the Industrial Model 3298 Magnetic Drive Pump and the Water Technologies Model GS Global Submersible.
US Navy gave the permission honor to Sims for composite centrifugal pump intervals. Simsite was passed on the test of centrifugal pump replacement parts and became the first company of building composite pumps to be certified. Baha Abulnaga invented the slurry and froth pump with a split vane impeller. The split impeller helped to reduce recirculation in slurry pumps by dividing the space between the main vanes without reducing the passageway at the narrowest point, which is the eye of the impeller. In froth pumps, it helped to break up air bubbles that form and tend to block the flow.
BW/IP purchased the Wilson-Snyder centrifugal pump business from National Oilwell. Micropump sold their company to Idex in 1995. Durametallic bought Pacseal and then is bought by Duriron. Sims manufactured the largest structural composite pumps in the world – two Simsite vertical turbine pumps for Potomac Electric Power Company. They were 40 feet long and 3 feet in diameter.
Hayward Tyler sold by Sterling Fluid Systems, which bought the remaining half share in SIHI. Grundfos acquired Interdab. Pump Industry Analyst launched in that year. BW/IP acquired Stork Pumps’ engineered pumps business. Johnson Pumps International acquired the modular pumps business. Durco and BW/IP merged to form Flowserve Corp. ITT Industries acquired Goulds. Idex acquired Blagdon Pumps. Textron became the owner of Maag Pump Systems, Spirax-Sarco bought the Bredel and another pump company, Pentair got the ownership of General Signal’s Pump Group. Then Constellation Capital acquired Imo. David Brown bought Union Pump Company in 1996. Gilbert Gilkes & Gordon bought Wallwin Pumps from Biwater and Textron bought David Brown Union Pumps. Constellation Capital bought Allweiler and Glynwed acquires Friatec.
ITT Industries acquired Goulds Pumps and made ITT the world’s largest pump company.
Hayward Tyler acquired APV Industrial Pumps and Ebara acquired Cryostar cryogenic pumps. Howard Anderson bought Pullen Pumps. Sterling Fluid Systems acquired QVF Engineering (Germany).
United Technologies Corp acquired Sundstrand. Textron bought KSB Annecy (France). Weir Group acquired Warman International (including Girdle Stone Pumps). United Dominion Industries acquired Bran Luebbe. Ensival merged with Moret in 1999. PumpSmart was introduced at the ChemShow in New York.
Flowserve acquired IDP while ABS acquired CH&E Pumps (USA). Cat Pumps (UK) bought Ram Pumps. Grundfos acquired Myson and Sarlin Pumps. Sulzer acquired Ahlstrom Pumps. Watson-Marlow Bredel acquired Alitea (Sweden). Roper acquired Abel; Blackmer bought Chesterton’s System One pump. Sulzer (temporarily) decided to leave the pump business when Sundyne acquired Caster (Italy). Computer designed LCC rubber-lined pump introduced to the market by GIW. Innovated slurry diverter developed by GIW to improve wear.
SPX acquired United Dominion Industries. Godwin Pumps of America acquired Godwin Pumps (UK). Lightnin (of SPX) acquired Plenty Group. Metso acquired Svedala; Idex acquires Versa-Matic. Flowserve introduced its MSP (medium speed pump) with variable frequency drive. KSB presented the first intelligent submersible motor pump. Ama-Porter ICS was sensor-controlled and needs no float switches.
Gorman-Rupp acquired American Machine and Tool. Grundfos took controlling interest in Chung Suk (Korea). ITT acquired Svedala Robot (Holland). Idex acquired Wrightech (USA). Siemens (Elmo division, liquid ring pumps) merged with Nash. Sims introduced the first structural composite vertical in-line pumps.
National Oilwell acquired Mono and Corlac (Canada). Wilo acquired EMU. Weir Engineering Services acquired Allen Gwynnes pump business. Kirloskar acquired SPP Pumps. KSB acquired controlling share in Bombas Itur (Spain). Sims became the first company to have composite pumps and baseplates, shock and vibration qualified by the United States Navy.
Howden pumps combined with Orbit in South Africa. Flowserve became the owner of Thompsons, Kelly & Lewis. Armstrong Pumps bought Holden Brooke Pullen, Baric, and RMI. Grundfos took control of Philipp Hilge. Dover Resources acquired Almatec.
Grundfos took over Tesla (Italian submersible motor maker). National Oilwell merged with Varco International. Interpump acquired Hammelmann. Pompe Gabbioneta (Italy) was sold to Weir. On that year, Wilo bought dominance power in both Mather & Platt Pumps and Fire Systems (India). Grundfos acquired Brisan Turbo (South Africa).
SPX acquired Johnson Pump and Franklin Electric acquired Little Giant Pump. United Components acquired ASC Industries (USA). Wilo acquired Circulating Pumps (UK) and South Bank UK acquired Hayward Tyler Group. Sulzer Pumps sold Paco to Grundfos. Pentair acquired Jung Pumpen (Germany). Lowara bought Mercury submersible motors (Italy). Sims manufactured the largest structural composite centrifugal impeller in the world.
Puerto Rican Electrical Power Company set up and installed this huge impeller in a cooling tower pump. It was 50 inches in diameter and consumes 2,000 horsepower. Allweiler designs and produced a high-tech EMTEC-A pump designed specifically for moving emulsions and cooling lubricants.
Sulzer’s proposed acquisition of Weir Pumps falls through. Clyde Pumps (part of Clyde Blowers) acquired Weir Pumps. SPX acquired APV, Grundfos acquired Peerless Pump and Wilden Pump acquires Griswold Pump. Franklin Electric acquired Monarch Industries Pump Division (USA) in2006. Weir Group acquired Multifl o Australia and SPM Flow Control (USA).
Brazilian company Industrias Schneider was sold to Franklin Electric to be more popular. Weir Group purchased CH Warman Pump Group. Flowserve completed the acquisition of Niigata Worthington (Japan).
Dover Corporation acquired Neptune Chemical Pump to join its Pump Solutions Group (Wilden, Blackmer, Griswold, Almatec). Weir Group acquired Mesa Manufacturing (USA), Hamilton Sunstrand acquired Marelli Pumps (Spain) and Clyde Blowers acquired Textron Fluid and Power division (including Maag Pump Systems and Union Pumps). Dover Corporation created The Pump Solutions Group, a conglomeration of Wilden, Blackmer, Mouvex, Neptune, Almatec and Griswold pump companies.
Sims designed and engineered the first structural composite anti-heeling pump manufactured for NCL Cruise lines.
ITT Corporations spin off into three separately traded companies, creating Xylem, Inc., the world’s largest water technology company.
This long history of water pump goes on and on. Lots of new inventions, uses of technology and manufacturers have seen in this century.